Sunday, June 5, 2011

Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh

Ahh. I borrowed this book from a friend in April when things were emotionally rough for me. I have continued to hold it hostage though because I would like to read it again, now that I feel that I've regained my emotional footing, I've learned a few things, and I can add the emotions and thoughts from April into my life-experience bag. Whenever I read the book again, I can remember how much the book gave me peace and calm, and then feel comforted by the fact that in the moment I read it next, I read it for affirmation and not for its previous crutch for dependence or new breath.

One line I love in particular from the book is the following:
"[On meditation:] One smile, one breath should be for the benefit of the whole day, not just that moment. We must practice in a way that removes the barrier between practice and non-practice."

This especially spoke to me because some days, I felt that no matter how much I'd practice my meditations in the morning (I've been doing a 10-minute sitting meditation whenever I wake up, before I get ready for the day), I'd still feel pangs of anger and frustration in the middle of my work day, in the middle of my thoughts and concentration. I realized that the idea behind what I do to kick off my idea is to allow it to carry through during the day. I've applied this attitude to my yoga practice too, and it seems to help my overall understanding and patience with things whenever I get off the mat.

I noticed that by the time I finished this book, these moments of frustration decreased, in both frequency and in intensity. Having the book on my nightstand also comforted me in that it reminded me of my friend who let me borrow it, and her care and compassion during my angst and sadness. Ah, the power of friendship. . .and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment